Friday, March 30, 2007

Accumulated musings

There is some national law in Chile requiring receipts to be given to the customer for each and every transaction, no matter how small. You try to buy a tiny apple empanada and if you quickly shuffle away the vendor will squak and wave the tiny piece of paper frantically, showing you what you had tried to leave behind.

One of the major lowlights of this trip has been the food. It just is not that good. They don`t do spicy food here, so what are you left with is a lot of bland and not very well done italian food. Pasta, pizza, etc....eating and making my own good food is one of the things I will enjoy most about returning home.

I am amazed what I have done to my shoes in 2 months of traveling and trekking. They were brand new, never worn the day I left and now they have large holes developing in the bunion area, they stink worse than any pair I have ever owned, and they don`t remotely resemble their original silver color.

My facial hair is currently longer right now than it has been at any point in my life. That being said, there is still not that much there. 25 years old and I can`t even get the hair above the lip to connect with the chin. That`s ok though, this is one of those things that traveling allows you to experiment with....I will be clean shaven upon returning home.

The reading materials are starting to get a little thin. One can only read so many bad novels...the book exchanges I have encountered have been particularly bad...for some reason they were much better in SEAsia.

Not only per capita but also just in total numbers, there are far more Israelis traveling here than any other nationality. They are quite literally everywhere you go! They tell me that after the 3 mandatory years in the army, the thing to do is travel and South America is the most popular destination for some reason. This is odd considering that none of them can speak a lick of spanish.

No comments: