Thursday, March 22, 2007

The FLAS!!!

I´m not too fond of the american government. Particularly nowadays, with Iraq a disaster and a multitude of other issues that it is truly painful to see your tax dollars support. Once in a while though, you are rewarded by the devil. Upon returning to Cochrane this afternoon I learned by e-mail that I have received a FLAS fellowship at the University of Michigan for the academic year 2007-2008. The FLAS (Foreign Language and Area Studies) http://www.ed.gov/programs/iegpsflasf/index.html fellowship provides full tuition for 1 year plus a $15,000 living stipend. It is basically a federally funded fellowship to reward those students studying lesser taught languages (in my case Thai). There will certainly be a celebration tonight in Cochrane, I believe a salmon dinner and a bottle of fine Chilean wine are calling my name!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Josh, that's terrific. You're on your way! There's a desk and a bed in my A2 garage room for when (or before) your windfall runs out. I think your dad might be convinced to join you for a celebratory hike in Los Pampas or hunting for Nazis in Pategonia (I suppose you know that many of them fled there after the war). Coincidentally, Just this morning I was writing something about Borges, perhaps Argentina's greatest writer, who once came to dinner at my house and held Alexander, then 1 year old. If you haven't read Borges, it might be fun to do so while you're there. I recommend Labyrinths in Spanish (or Thai!)I imagine his home in Buenos Aires is now a museum. If you go there, I would love a picture. Carolyn