Saturday, March 10, 2007

Expensive internet and beautiful hikes

I´m going to have to keep this short because the internet here in this tiny town is crazy, $4 an hour when it is no more than $1 anywhere else in the country. I just returned from 5 days hiking in Los Glaciares national park. It was fantastic. I finally had some great weather and it makes such a difference. I wish I could compare Torres Del Paine and Los Glaciares evenly buyt Glaciares was such a better experience mainly because you could see the glourious scenery!!! There were of course glaciars galore, usually perched on rock faces towering over turqoise lakes. A few of the places were literally the most beautiful spots I think I may have ever been to in my life. I wish I could go on, but my minutes and tickets are quickly slipping away.

The next part of my trip will involve crossing back into Chile by way of a border crossing that is only accessible by foot or horse. Here´s is a link to somebodys experience on it with lots of photos: http://www.travelblog.org/South-America/Argentina/El-Chalten/blog-54440.html I will be doing it totally on foot plus the one requisite ferry. This border area was one of the last areas in dispute between the Argentine and Chilean governments and it was only open to crossings as of ten or so years ago. My guidebook claims only 200 people crossed here in 2004 but it is growing in popularity as the word gets out. Becuase of the logistical difficulties presented by this crossing it could be another 4-5 days before I can blog again. The chilean town where I will be crossing to, Villa O´Higgins is located at the southern terminus of the Carterra Austral: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carretera_Austral

One more thing, I found out upon my return from my hike that I have been accepted to the MA Urban Planning program at the University of Michigan!! Maybe that Kalamazoo College education was good for something after all!

No comments: