Friday, February 2, 2007

The gay opera singer..... or the old Seinfeld trick

I am currently staying with a member of hospitality club (HC). HC, a group that anyone worldwide can join for free at hospitalityclub.org , attempts to give travellers the opportunity to meet and possibly stay with locals while on the road. Conversely, you can host people at your home as well, though for some reason I get very few international travelers coming through Westland, MI. Before leaving home I contacted several of the over 1000 HC members from Buenos Aires and get several resonses. One of these responses led to me meeting Rolo, a 23 year old, who currently lives with his parents in the barrio of San Cristobal, a lower middle class neighborhood in southwest BA. He offered me a room and I accepted. The room itself is quite small, maybe 10 by 6, with a window that looks out to the central open air part of the dwelling. We chatted for a few minutes and he explained he is quite busy this week with rehersals. This is where the opera comes in, he walks around the house spurting out random bits of whatever opera he is currently working on. I find it quite amusing and actually kind of nice to listen to. His parents are on vacation for the week and thus, it was only his aunt and younger brother who were home with him. At lunch I joined the three of them for you guessed it, more large pieces of meet. Unforunately I faired much worse with this one than the previously mentioned vacio. This home-prepared cut was medium rare, far from my preferred well done and verging on burned style that I usually have the few times that I do eat red meat at home. Of course there was also lots of fat mixed in with the meat at seemingly random places. These two fources of fat and rareness combined into something I found nearly impossible to chew and ingest. It was just plain gross. I resorted to cutting tiny pieces off just so I could successfully chew and swallow. I hate to admit it, but I even found myself pulling the old Seinfeld trick, stashing a few pieces of partiularly nasty meat into my napkin when nobody was looking, giving the appearance that I was actually making some progress!!!! I always knew watching all those Seinfeld episodes would be good for something. The rest of the day I didn´t see Rolo that much. He had rehersals and other things to attend to. He told me he wouldn´t be able to do anything that evening either, because he already had plans with his boyfriend. Interestingly, Buenos Aires is one of the very few locales in Latin America that has legalized gay civil unions.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You write very well.