Monday, February 5, 2007

The yesssssssssss man

I wasn´t dying to watch the Superbowl last night, but I had nothing better to do so I headed out in search of a bar carrying the game. I headed towards an upscale barrio and sure enough there was a row of several bars and restaurants showing the game on huge projection screens. I picked one out, ordered a beer (it was actually a local microbrewery!) and settled in for the long four hours. Most of the people close to me were also American, though there was a local couple behind me. The first half of the first quarter passed without anything notable happening. The beer was pretty good and the game was entertaining, if not a bit sloppy! It was nearing the end of the 1st quarter when three guys, probably in their late 30s or early 40s showed up. Thankfully they were seated a good twenty feet behind me but still, when they opened their mouths I wished they had been a good 100 feet away. Of the three, only one was truly obnoxious. Obviously a huge colts fan, whenever they did anything remotely good (ie, a positive play of 3 or more yards) he bellowed out a loud and repeated ¨yesssssssssss¨ ¨yessssssss¨ ¨yessssssss¨. It´s hard to adequately describe how annoying a sound this was. And like I said, he did it on every even remotely positive Colts play. Countering the yesssssesss were the occasional ¨noooooossss¨ when Chicago had a big play. Then of course, he had to mix in the most played out football cliches between the yesssssses. Things like, ¨they just have to keep moving the chains,¨ ¨it´s all about field position,¨ ¨this is the colts year of destiny¨ blah blah blah!! It got so bad that by the second half some of the other Americans were overtly mocking this guy. Yelping out ¨yessssesss¨ of their own. One younger guy even started mocking him by singing the ¨America, fuck yeah!¨ song from the South Park movie. I had to admit, the yesssss man did seem like someone the South Park guys would have a good time paradying.

No comments: