Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Tigre

Before I left Buenos Aires, I wanted to attempt at least one day trip out of the city. The lonely planet suggested Colonial, a you guessed it, colonial town situated across the Rio de la Plata in Uruguay. I was close to going for it, mainly because it would be fun to get a new stamp in my passport, which is quickly running out of blank spaces for new stamps! Unfortunately it involved a six hour round trip ferry ride and it cost about $40 so instead I headed to Tigre: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tigre%2C_Buenos_Aires

I think I made the right move, this Delta (which I had never even heard of until this week) is huge and goes on in a maze of stems and rivers seemingly in every direction. It is the drainage point for the entire northern Argentine watershed, and the silt filled water has a distinct mocha color to it. I only took a boat ride about half hour into it but you can take trips for 3-4 hours if you really want to get into the backcountry. Rumor has it that in the past pirates would take their fresh loot and hide out in the Delta, making it impossible to be found. The boat dropped me off and I hiked for about an hour on narrow paths that paralled the different rivers and streams. Beautiful little cottage-like homes were spread along the shores and most everyone had some sort of pier or boat lanch jutting out from their property as boats were obviously the only means of transportation. The weather was delightfully cooler though still quite humid and I had a large Quilmes beer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quilmes_%28beer%29 after finishing my walk. I ran into a traveller from Portland, Oregon and we chatted for a few hours at a small restaurant before I headed back to the dock for my return boat. Strangely, on the return boat I ran into Gunner, the Swede I enjoyed the vacio with on my first night in BA.

No comments: