Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Adventure nearing an end....dreaming about another

I left Chile this morning, crossing the snowy andes and arriving in Bariloche http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bariloche , the dominant city of the Argentina lakes district. It feels great to be back in Argentina. I think I may have spent a tad too much time in Chile (the country was starting to wear on me a bit) and it feels great to be back to a place where the spanish is much easier to understand and everything is just a little bit less expensive. We plan to spend about 4 days exploring the Argentine lakes district and then it will be time for my dad to head home and I will have about 10 more days after that before I too will be returning to Michigan.

I am starting to get to that point where you are anxious to get home but also aware that another great adventure is almost over and you are already nostalgic for all the great things you have seen and done the past 2.5 months. I have spent a lot of time lately thinking about my future as well. It is exciting to know that I have an adventure of a different sort (graduate school) on the very near horizon. I will be living in Madison, Wisconsin for two months this summer studying Thai language and then in September I will be starting my dual masters program in Urban Planning and Southeast Asian Studies at the University of Michigan.

Tomorrow we hope to make it up to some local mountains that offer great views of glaciers and the surrounding lakes. We will see if the weather cooperates with us. Enough for now, time to find a good steak to celebrate being back in the land of the gauchos.

No comments: