Monday, April 16, 2007

Travel day

Sunday was my final day traveling with my dad. Thankfully we had a beautiful day weather wise, which was not the case for the majority of his visit. We decided to rent some bikes and do a 10km roundtrip cycle to a nearby lakeside beach outside San Martin de los Andes. Within minutes of pedaling out of town by chain decided to rupture and I was left with a lame bike. I was really bummed because I knew the ride was going to be nice and I thought it would be a great way to spend our last day together. We returned to our hotel and after confiring with the owner decided that we would take a boat ride do a different beach, supposedly even more beautiful than the one we were planning on visiting.

Turns out we had a really nice time. The boat took 30 minutes to arrive at the beach and we made a short walk and lunched with views of the white-capped lake and the surrounding mountains. We spend the rest of the afternoon walking, reading, and napping in the serene sun. He caught a 6am back to Chile this morning, as he is due to fly out of Santiago tomorrow and I caught a 6 hour bus north to the city of Neuquen. I am only hanging around here for a few hours before catching an overnight 12 hour ride up to Mendoza, the wine capital of Argentina. I plan to spend several days here, as lonely planet claims it is one of the nicest cities in all of Argentina. My bus ticket for the overnight journey up there is in coche cama class, the Argentine bus equivalent of business class. For about $7 you get a set that reclines almost 180 degrees, I´ll be sure to tell you if it was worth the extra expense.

No comments: