Wednesday, April 18, 2007

International friendly

Walking around Mendoza yesterday I noticed a chalkboard sign at a bar advertising a soccer match between Argentina and Chile that would be broadcast on their giant screens at 20:00. I thought to myself, hmmm that might be fun to go to a place like that and watch the game with some locals. Well, it turns out this international friendly match is actually taking place in Mendoza tonight! I probably would have never even known if it were not for a couple guys staying in the same room at my hostel who I overheard talking about it. They said the people running the hostel were selling tickets. I thought this sounded like something I had to do and I quickly asked the owners about it. They made a few phone calls and reserved an additional ticket for me. I think they are making a really fat profit on the ticket, they charged me about $25 and I´m sure if I asked around locally I could have found it for about $5. However this is my first soccer match in latin america and I will feel a little more comfortable being seated in a section with my fellow hostel mates, instead of duking it out with firework tossing, crazed Mendozians. I think sitting with the locals would be an experience and I hope to do it sometime but I think it would be a bit much for my first time.

No comments: