Friday, April 20, 2007

Wine and water

This is my final day in Mendoza, so I figured I had to make it out to a tour of at least one winery, being that this is the wine capital of Argentina. The winery I visited was founded in 1885 and had a nice little museum tracing the history of wine making from the 16th century to the present. A free guided tour and tasting was also included. My new favorite wine is Malbec
There is a silky smooth quality to it that I just can´t get enough of. I´m hoping I can find some once I return home.

Menodza has been a nice place to spend the past 4 days. The town itself is actually located in thehuge desert that is the Andean rain shadow. Because of this, every street has water diverted from the Andes that is diverted into ditches running parallel to the sidwalks, creating a constant but subtle reminder that if it were not for such an elaborate man-made irrigation system this town would not be a very pleseant place to be. Large cyprus trees line most of the street, creating a loverly tunel of greenish yellow leaves to protect you from the sun. The architecture is not particularly notable but these noble trees make it so you don´t even notice.

I haven´t done a lot during my time here, mainly relaxing among the half dozen or so plazas, frequenting the internet cafe, eating yummy ice cream. I feel like while traveling it is easy to fall into the ¨I always have to be doing something¨ trap. Sometimes the most rewarding thing to do for a few days is exactly what I have done here, just relax and soak up wherever you are. I love walking in figure eights throughout the city with no particular direction, simply seeing where my feet take me.

No comments: